October is one of the best months for outdoor and indoor fun. The weather has cooled, trees are falling, and we are all trying to fit in those last outdoor activities before we begin seeing our breath in the air. October is a time where the smell of firewood hits your nose as soon as you walk outdoors, there is just about anything pumpkin flavored, and kids begin making their costumes to receive and consumer sweet treats.
Things can get overwhelming in October, that’s why we have created a list of fun and eco-friendly activities for you to plan ahead and get ready for the spooky month ahead!
- Go apple picking! Gather up a basket of crisp, fresh apples and use them for snacks and pies! Here is an ultimate guide on apple picking to ensure you have the best experience!
- Go on a hike. Fall is the best time of year to go. The leaves are changing to beautiful, autumn colors, the temperature has dropped to a comfortable temperature, and the views during a hike are breathtaking!
- Collect leaves. Gather different kinds of leaves from the walks you take and hikes you go on and put them in a scrapbook with a note about where you found it and what kind of tree it is from. Leaf ID has an interactive quiz that will help you identify the type of leaves you find!
- Play touch football or cornhole outside! Start a friendly competition by creating teams and brackets.
- Go to your local pumpkin patch. A professor at Cornell University wrote out a list of tips to choose the best pumpkin out of the bunch, so read up on these tips before hitting the patch!
- Rake the leaves in your yard. It doesn’t have to be a boring project! Rake them into a pile and jump in them and let your inner child shine.
- Bake an apple pie. Not the chef of the household? No problem! We have found an easy-to-follow recipe for you to impress your friends and family with your baking skills this fall.
- Clean out your closet! Put away summer clothes and break out your fall and winter gear! Donate the clothing you no longer want to your local shelters.
- Attend a local fall festival. Local fall festivals are always a great calendar filler and friend gatherer. They have all of the best food, music, and activities that will get you into the fall mood.
- Have a pumpkin carving contest and vote on the best pumpkin! Don’t forget to bake the pumpkin seeds in the oven for a tasty fall snack! Preheat your oven to 150°C, weigh out a cup and a half of pumpkin seeds, sprinkle the seeds with garlic salt and two tablespoons of melted butter, and let them cook in the oven for 45 minutes (or until golden brown) YUM!
- Have a bonfire outside and invite your neighbors over for storytelling and s’mores making. Use old wire hangers to toast your marshmallows!
- Go to a haunted house! Find A Haunt allows you to search for haunted houses, escape rooms, corn mazes, and other haunted attractions near you!
- Make your own Halloween costume out of old clothing that you no longer wear. This guide will help you put something together last minute and at little to no cost!
- Make your own Halloween decorations and put them up around your house. This article has several ideas for eco-friendly and upcycled decorations that are sure to be a hit for the spooky season!
- Make a crockpot of chili or your favorite fall soup! There is nothing more relaxing than cozying up on the couch with a warm bowl of chili, a blanket, and your favorite TV show on a fall day!
- Do a fun fall photo shoot outside with your family, friends, and pets! Bust out your favorite fall scarf or sweater, gather your loved ones, and create everlasting memories.
- Host a potluck with your friends. Everyone brings a different dish to the party. Be sure to grab supplies from your local 7-Eleven.
- Watch scary movies. Check out this list of best scary movies of all time to begin your movie marathon!
- Tailgate at your local football or sporting event. Bring your own snacks and drinks!
- Plant fall flowers and herbs. It’s not too late in the year to get your garden started. Check out what flowers and plants are best for fall here!
We hope that your October is filled with exciting and spooky activities! Happy Fall from 7-Eleven Canada RENEW!